The features and benefits of cactus extract
Cactus Extract is a 100% natural ingredient made from dehydrated cactus leaves. Beyond its lipophilic properties (ability to interact with fats), Cactus Extract also showed a positive effect on blood lipid parameters and Syndrome X diagnosis.
One of product that uses Cactus Extract Is Meratol.
- Fibers with lipophilic properties / weight management support
- Positive action on blood lipid parameters
- Link with cardiovascukar risks and Metabolic Syndrome (Syndrome X) diagnosis
|| Patented powder of Opuntia ficus indica cactus leaves
| Active content
|| Soluble and insoluble fiber of Opuntia ficus-indica cactus
| Scientific Background
|| In vitro study: gastrointestinal model
- 2001 : 2g of Cactus Extract, associated to a test meal absorbs part of total fatty acids during the 4-hours in vitro test.
- 2004 : Comparison between NeOpuntia® and a branded chitosan : Cactus Extract decreases fatty acids bio-availability, whereas chitosan shows no effect.
- 2005 : Cactus Extract’s lipophilc properties are confirmed when associated with a traditional American breakfast.
Pilot clinical study
- 2003 : the double blind, placebo-controlled study suggests that Cactus Extract could increase fat excretion by 27%.
Clinical Study (PUBLISHED) :
- E. Linares. The effect of Cactus Extract on blood Lipid parameters – risk factors for the Metabolic Syndrome (Syndrome X). Advances in Therapy®, vol. 24 N°5 ; september-october 2007. Study conducted on 68 females divided into 2 groups (Cactus Extract and Placebo), during 42 days :
- On the total population, Cactus Extract increases HDL cholesterol level, with a significant trend (+0.0217 g/l)
- In women 45 years or older, Cactus Extract significantly increases HDL cholesterol level (p=0,029)
- Almost 40% of women in the Cactus Extract group are no longer diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome, against only 8% for the Placebo group.